I recently visited the headquarters and principal factory of Irizar. It is in the mountainous Basque region of Northern Spain, about 40 miles from the beautiful coastal city of San Sebastian. The highway climbs gradually through hilly terrain with higher mountains visible in the distance. On every flat piece of land there are either factories […]
The 66th IAA Exhibition took place in the northern German city of Hannover in September. Fortunately, the weather in Hannover was still quite warm and there wasn’t a drop of rain. This vast event is almost certainly the largest commercial vehicle exhibition in the world, with products ranging from vans, minibuses, buses and coaches, up […]
Turkey is a fascinating country of 77 million where only 3 percent of the land lies in Europe at its eastern extremity. The other 97 percent is one of the western-most parts of Asia. While the capital, city of Ankara, lies firmly on the Asian side on Anatolian plateau, Istanbul is the largest city […]
Mercedes-Benz launches autonomous city bus Friends who work in Daimler Buses sometimes express regret that their company does not appear to be keeping pace with European competitors on the development of transit buses with alternative fuels and driveline technology. I can understand their concerns, but the company has forged ahead with very strong sales of […]
Electric bus developments in Europe Before getting into the main theme of this article, it was amazing to read a recent report by IDTechEx, a respected research organization which has offices on both sides of the Atlantic. Over here, it is based in the beautiful old university city of Cambridge. They predicted that the electric […]
A UK Bus Summit took place in London on February 12 with the Secretary of State for Transport giving the introductory speech. It is hard to believe the last such conference was held back in 1999.
There are more hybrid buses in operation in the United Kingdom than in any other European country.
Of all the trade associations representing vehicle manufacturers in Europe, Germany’s Verband der Automobilindustrie is in a league of its own.
The Transports Publics Exhibition takes place in Paris every two years at the Porte de Versailles Center.
By Doug Jack With headquarters and two factories near the city of Poznan in Western Poland, Solaris is one of the more innovative bus builders in the world. Last year the company sold 1,302 vehicles, the highest number to date in its 18-year history. “We owe last year’s success to our customers who rely on […]