BYD showcases all-electric transit
California Governor Jerry Brown helps BYD unveil state’s first ever long-range electric bus factory in Lancaster
In an event attended by California Governor Jerry Brown, BYD Motors unveiled the first California-made, all-electric, long-range, 40-foot rapid transit bus. The ceremony was held in Lancaster, CA, at BYD’s first ever electric bus factory in the United States, which the company says has created more than 60 new jobs for American workers.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- BYD’s first 40-foot, zero-emissions electric rapid transit bus completes Altoona testing
- Proterra debuts second-generation 40-foot all-electric transit bus
- Electric buses at UITP Geneva
“The city of Lancaster strongly believes in the importance of building solid private-public partnerships, such as our ongoing relationship with BYD,” said Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris. “Together, we were recognized internationally for our innovative solar programs at the 2012 World Energy Globe Awards. BYD continues to bring much-needed manufacturing jobs to our community, having already brought more than 60 new jobs to our region. We look forward to their continued growth, and the resulting economic prosperity they bring to the Antelope Valley and the state of California.”
BYD expects to increase the number of new jobs created to 100 by the end of the year, while adding 200 more by the end of next year. The company says it hopes this will be the first of many cities where BYD will provide clean energy electric buses, while creating more jobs for Americans.
“This event is truly historic with the unveiling of the first California-made, all-electric, long-range, 40-foot rapid transit buses lasting up to 24 hours on a single charge,” said Stella Li, CEO of BYD Motors. “BYD has a long and solid commitment to provide zero-emission, superior technology transportation vehicles in the United States. We are starting out here in Lancaster, CA, with the goal of providing clean energy electric buses, throughout the United States creating even more jobs for Americans. BYD is proud to deliver this breakthrough environmentally friendly technology to California.”
BYD says its breakthrough battery and EV technologies have resulted in an electricity-powered, 24-hour, long-range battery that provides emission-free, silent, and economic public and private transportation.
Speakers at the ceremony included:
- Governor Jerry Brown – Governor of California
- Mayor R. Rex Parris – Mayor of Lancaster, CA
- Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich – Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors
- Bill Allen – President and Chief Executive Officer of the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation
- Stella Lee – CEO, BYD Motors
- Lanny Davis – Attorney for BYD and former White House Special Counsel
- Lixin Bian – Chinese Acting Counsel General